This award honors a faculty member who has shown outstanding commitment to mentoring undergraduate research students. Good mentors serve as role models in the process of research and discovery, for the responsible conduct of research, and for entry into the profession through networking and research dissemination. Faculty members, at any level, who have shown commitment and dedication to the mentoring of undergraduate researchers, are eligible. The award is sponsored by the Office of Undergraduate Research.
Nominations should present evidence that the nominees have made significant contributions to advancing undergraduate research and scholarship at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, or UTIA. The strongest nominations will demonstrate a commitment to undergraduate research through specific examples such as peer-reviewed publications involving undergraduates, student presentations, showings, performances, awards, or scholarships related to research and evidence for the continuing success of mentored students in the research endeavor (where the students are now if possible).
Awards will be conferred at the Academic Honors Banquet on Wednesday, May 1, 2024.
- The faculty nominee must be a current employee of UT Knoxville or UTIA or have retired within the past 12 months prior to submission.
- Faculty members at any level are eligible for nomination.
- The majority of mentored students cited in the application must be active or former UT Knoxville undergraduates.
The steps of the nomination process are outlined below:
Nominator submits a completed nomination form online. The online form requires the nominator to include a 200-word nomination statement. Nominees will then be contacted to submit additional documentation.
- Submissions will be reviewed by selected members of the Undergraduate Research Advisory Council, as well as members of the campus community.
- Deadline for online nomination submission is January 17, 2024.