In 1982, the L. R. Hesler Award for Excellence in Teaching and Service was established to honor Dr. L. R. Hesler, a man known for his outstanding teaching abilities and his service to the University community. Dr. Hesler was an internationally respected scientist and for many years was dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Recipients of the L. R. Hesler Award for Excellence in Teaching and Service have been outstanding professors whose genuine interest in students and contributions to UT Knoxville has exemplified the traits for which Dr. Hesler was best known.
The recipient of the L.R. Hesler Award for Excellence in Teaching and Service also receives a monetary award in the amount of $12,000. Awards will be conferred at the Academic Honors Banquet on Wednesday, May 1, 2024.
Selection Process and Criteria
The recipient shall be a full-time employee of the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, at the time of the selection, or for the full academic year immediately prior to selection and must hold the rank of professor or associate professor. Selection shall be based upon the following criteria:
- honorable, congenial, and untainted character
- respected as an excellent teacher by both students and peers
- high degree of professional dedication and leadership
- genuine interest in the progress of his/her students
- ability to inspire and motivate students, both in and out of the classroom
- pursuit of excellence in research and study in his/her chosen field
- active involvement in worthy research, writings, or campus civic activities
The steps of the nomination process are outlined below:
- Nominator submits a completed nomination packet via the online form. A completed nomination packet includes:
- Nomination letter that clearly documents the nominee’s record of service to students and to the campus community
- Copy of the nominee’s current curriculum vitae (not to exceed five pages in length)
- Additional letters of support are not needed for this award.
- All materials should be scanned and submitted as a single PDF.